Wednesday 19 April 2017

On Social Media

I don't write much on Fb, Quora, Twitter.
I visited Twitter for some time today. Too many people shouting out their opinions telling us how they believe the world should run. Yeah, right.

Mostly I feel too insignificant to consider my opinions important enough. Maybe because I feel that others' opinions aren't important either. I don't care what other people think about Sonu Nigam's tweet regarding Azaan, or what Virat Kohli thinks about Anushka Sharma.

Yes, I know the impact of social media on marketing and how it's shaping consumer behaviour. But to me, mostly it's just noise. 

Some people's opinions do count though. Those who have their "skin in the game". I like to read their opinions. Rest don't matter.

Of all the stuff said by Taleb, the concept of "skin in the game" is what I liked the most. Even then, I don't quite enjoy the guy. The problem is, most of the stuff that he talks about is the age old wisdom and he's just promoting it by abusing others. I don't find him original except in his methods to get himself heard. 

Then there's the technical stuff regarding randomness and the black swan events. I don't understand it much. Neither do I understand the work of others whom he criticizes. So I reserve my judgment.

I liked the book "Antifragile" as it made me think. But then, I also read a few books on investing e.g. The Intelligent Investor, The Most Important Thing, The Essays of Warren Buffett etc. I realized that what Taleb is saying has been said by the likes Ben Graham and Warren Buffett umpteen number of times already. 

I digress. 

Blogger is more of a personal diary now. Few people care to visit this place and I like it that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment